Sunday, June 22, 2008

Grillin' veggies.

With mushrooms on sale this week, I wanted an easy way to incorporate them that was low in calories, fun, and different. I realized that I hadn't ever shish kabobed veggies - and that's SUCH an easy way to cook them. Tell me that THIS doesn't look good.

Oh. It gets even better. That's pineapple, baby. Grilled pineapple. Which is, like, pineapple from heaven.


It made an afternoon like this...


...feel almost fiesta like.


The best part? The whole meal (two shish kabobs, dip, corn, and two pineapple slices) was only 2.5 Weight Watcher points. That comes out to less than 150 calories. AND I'm full.


So, how to make it?


Kabobs: I made mine veggie style, but you could toss a chicken breast, steak, or shrimp on too. Just make sure that you keep the meat marinated, even in cube sizes, and make DOUBLE sure that you keep the veggies on their own kabob (they cook at a different rate). Shrimp cook best if you double skewer them, so they form a little "c."


Dip: I took about a half cup of PLAIN fat free yogurt and tossed in a tablespoon of chopped cilantro and half of a lime. Then I added garlic powder (it was what I had on hand, fresh would be better) and cumin to taste. The husband and I each got a 1/4 cup of it. Corn: I tossed it right on the grill and turned it. I can deal with corn with no butter - in my mind it slides right off anyway. I just salt mine, and that seems to do what the butter does.


Pineapple: To grill pineapple, first you must cut. Slice the top and the bottom off. Then work your way around the edge slicing the pineapple skin off, top to bottom. When the skin is cut off, cut down the middle, from top to bottom. Take each half, cut wedges, again top to bottom. In the middle of each pineapple is the hard core, cut that off like you would an apple. Then just toss the pineapple right on the grill long enough to get the pretty grill marks.


Really, it was so healthy, and SO good. One of my new go-to meals when I've overdone earlier in the day.

0 comments: