Monday, June 16, 2008

Bread and butter, baby.

So, I've been making some progress on my summer cooking goals.

It turns out that Panna Cotta is milk jello. I used a recipe from the joy of baking website, and my husband loved it. I accidentally ran out of vanilla (ooops), and had to substitute coconut extract. The result was excellent regardless, as the flavor did not change the velvety texture. However, the flavor was remarkably similar to Haupia (pronounced How-pee-ah), which is a Hawaiian Coconut custard. So, while it was good, it was sort of a "familar" flavor. Which made it nothing to write home about, at least for me. Oh well, my husband was happy.

I've also managed a couple of bread recipes. The kids seemed happy enough with the latest Oatmeal Bread attempt. What I don't love about it is the size. We'll be ordering some larger loaf pans from Amazon soon. Other than that - the kids seem to love it. It's about the first thing I've made homemade that they've eaten up happily! It IS a wonderful little bread. Out of the recipe you get two loaves. When finished, it's delicately sweet. Definitely a bread that you could just eat - no butter. Just straight.

I've found an AMAZING French Bread recipe. Given to me by the creative Mommy I've mentioned THREE times now on this blog, it's fast an easy.

2.5 cups warm water
2 TABLESPOONS of yeast (a lot, I know, but that's what makes it so fast)
2 TABLESPOONS of sugar
2 teaspoons of salt
5.5 cups of flour.

Just stir together and let sit for 15 minutes. Then, with heavily floured hands (this is a very sticky dough) cut and divide in half. Lay out in two "logs" on a large cookie sheet and let rise for another 15. Then bake at 450 for 15.

This makes a flatter "Artisan" like bread. Leftovers are great for garlic and cheese bread. Today I piled it high with leftover bruschetta, sprinkled some fresh mozzarella over the top, and nuked it. Wonderful! I also plan on making panini sandwiches with it this summer. I have this idea for pesto, mozzarella, and maybe some mushrooms? Yum.

Finally, for Father's Day, I did try the balsamic reduction. I was disappointed. This will be harder than I thought. First of all, heating and boiling vinegar is pretty rough on the lungs. Secondly, it takes a while to get the reduction reduced, it's touchy and difficult to get it "just right," and to adjust the spices you pretty much have to make entirely different batches for trial and error. Jeff liked it, but it wasn't quite as good as I remember. I might have to get back to that restaurant to sample it again.

Anyhow, I'm feeling pretty confident about some of my bread recipes. The French bread is a new family favorite. Now it's just a matter of finding a good sandwich recipe. The Oatmeal Bread is great, but what about for grilled cheese?

0 comments: