Friday, August 8, 2008

Rustic Vegetable Tomato Sauce over Heart Shaped Polenta

This is a Portland-trip inspired meal. Both in the ingredients and the methods.

While in Oregon, on the tour, we went to a wonderful kitchen supply store. While there, we were introduced to the wonder and beauty of ceramic blades. We sat around the store's open "classroom" while the chef showed us how effortlessly she was able to slice and dice. I was in love, and gave my husband the "big eyed" look. You know the one, ladies. It says "please buy this for me, and I swear I'll make you a happy man."

Oh, get your mind out of the gutter. I meant with a good meal. This is a family blog.

I kid. Sort of. Har, har.

ANYHOW, we came out of said kitchen supply store with two products.

(1) A serrated peeler from Messermeister. Why serrated over a regular peeler? Well, from the website, the blade"allows you to not only grip wet vegetables and peel them with ease, but also allows you to peel tomatoes, grapes, eggplants, ginger and more!"

Check THESE babies out:
It was really a wondrous thing to watch the ultra thin tomato peel just pull away from the flesh, and then fall into the sink. The brilliant color inside the tomato made me want to paint my kitchen an even redder shade (it's currently burgundy).

Okay, my tenth grade English class, where I had to learn to write "descriptively" completely came rushing back to me right there. But I digress...

(2) I couldn't go home without my new slicer (I just have the double edged mandoline) from Kyocera. This is a company that will get many, MANY more dollars from me in the not-so-distant future. In fact, since we have returned to Florida we have purchased a new knife. The review of which I will save for a later date.

If you can't quite comprehend my affinity for the new ceramic blades, then feast your eyes on these puppies:

It took me just seconds to slice the mushrooms and zucchini into the brilliantly thin pieces you see here. It was effortless to simply slide the zucchini back and forth (the double edge) - and with the mushrooms I was able to use the "grabber" that the slicer comes with. It really helped out with the tomato sauce, as things cooked quickly and the thin nature made everything "flow" together nicely without being overcooked.

Now, this last picture is the product of a tool that I have been using for some time. It's one of those "buy on TV" products that actually work. Although now you can get it in many more places besides on TV. When using the product, you put in your attachment (large chunks or "dice"), then you press the top down, forcing the vegetable onto the blade, and voila! Perfectly chunked pieces. I use this ALL the time for just about anything you can imagine. IN FACT, just the other day I was making granola bars, and needed to chop my whole dried fruit into tiny pieces. This thing worked like a charm. The neat part is the container that holds all the onions and green peppers until you are ready to add them. So, I went ahead and started the oil, then poured the peppers, onions, and diced garlic (also in there, but on the bottom) and got that cooking. THEN I chopped tomatoes. Worked like a charm.

Rustic Vegetable Tomato Sauce over Heart Shaped Polenta

Now, I can't totally take the credit for the idea here. It's based on a dish a dear old friend (and FABULOUS designer) whipped up for us while in Oregon. My husband loved it, so I simply had to recreate it. When I had this new slicer to use, and peeler, and all the ingredients came up on sale - it was like a giant sign telling me to give it a whirl.

Step One: make polenta. I used this ingredient list, but I didn't follow the instructions exactly. Instead of a loaf pan, I spread it out into a jelly roll pan, about 1/2 of an inch thick. Then I placed that in the fridge and waited until it cooled (2 hours, you want it COLD). When done, I used a heart shaped cookie cutter and made the cut outs. You could use whatever shape you want, festive, creative, hand carved - whatever. When you have the cut outs - put each piece in a medium-hot skillet (nonstick works best) oiled with spray or olive oil. Cook for a few minutes on each side, until the polenta turns a golden color and it's warm on the inside of each piece. I would save the frying step for absolutely last. Do it while the sauce is simmering.

Step Two: Make sauce:

Ingredients:

- Any vegetables you have on hand. I used mushrooms, green peppers, and zucchinis. This made a nice and "meaty" sauce without having to add the meat. A good rule of thumb is about a cup of each of three different types of vegetables. If you have fewer to add, increase the amount of what you have. My girlfriend adds prosciutto to this. If I were to cook with it, I would add it with the onion mixture.

- one large onion, diced.

- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced.

- 2 pounds of tomatoes, peeled and diced.

- 1 small can of tomato paste.

- vegetable broth as needed.

- 1 Tablespoon of fresh basil

- salt and pepper to taste.

In a heavy skillet or large pot, add just enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom. Add onion, peppers, and garlic. Cook until they start to soften and turn translucent.

Add tomatoes. Cook down over medium heat or medium high heat. This will take 10-15 minutes. You want the tomatoes to lose their shape and look saucy.

About 5 or so minutes after adding the tomatoes, add the rest of the vegetables. This is a little unconventional, but I simply hate mushy zucchini.

Add can of paste, and broth to desired consistency. I hate to give an amount here - as the ripeness of your tomato will totally change this. The more water that exists within the tomato - the thinner your sauce will be. You're going for something chunky and thick - not a thin spaghetti sauce.

Let cook for several minutes, then add all spices. Let simmer for another 5 - 10 minutes to let all the flavors meld. Watch for mushy vegetables!

Spoon over fried polenta. Sprinkle with Parmigiana Reggiano (or another tasty cheese) and enjoy!

Note that a host of other starches (rice, brown rice, quiona, or maybe some gnocchi) would serve just fine. In fact, I liked the sauce by itself!

0 comments: