Saturday, August 2, 2008

Portland, Oregon: Odds, ends, and a wrap up.

So, as you can read, our Portland trip was really fantastic. Our family is planning on heading out there permanently as soon as the economy and housing market allows. It's green and luscious, with just the right about of "big city feel" without the "big city hassles." Really, I've not found too many other places with the richness inside of the Portland Metro area.

A few odds and ends:

(1) If you go, make sure to utilize the MAX line. Traffic in Portland and on the surrounding highways can be horrific. We love the MAX.

(2) Do yourself a favor and do not drink at Starbucks if you can all avoid it. There are a multitude of local and privately owned coffee shops that have a better feel and better coffee. One that we didn't try, but I've heard phenomenal things about, is Stumptown coffee.

(3) Seeing that this is a family blog, done by a teacher, I generally try to avoid alcohol references. However, I can't completely ignore the rich culture of fine beers and wines in the area. Do research this if you are headed out there, and feel free to email me if you have any questions or need advice.

(4) Most grocers have responded to the local demand for organic and natural foods. Fred Meyers is probably the best place to go for reasonably priced organics. Safeway and Haggens are also good, but Safeway is smaller and Haggens is more expensive (but it's also more local). If out there, buy as much as you can from farmer's markets, farmers stands, and supplement the rest at a grocery store. One really nice thing at Fred's is the great selection of organic and natural beauty and personal care - it's more of a "superstore".

(5) If you can, please, please, please enjoy the outdoors while in Oregon. We didn't get a chance with our youngins' - but I hope to change that the next time we are out there. There are tons of biking, river, and hiking options out there. Oh - and the MOUNTAINS. The MAJESTIC mountains! (By the way, this picture was taken on a tram just minutes from downtown Portland. See how green everything is?) (6) Ever hear of Bob's Red Mill? They're a distributor for natural grain, wheat, rice, flour, and more. You can find the products in most grocers and on Amazon. The company is located in Oregon, and they have an outlet store right off the highway. I just love their "back to basics" philosophy in stone milling. They have a significant number of gluten free options for those needing that. This is SO worth a visit if you're a foodie.

Yes, the Portland area is quite the place, and I was very sad to leave. A few closing pictures: The "two kids" not so much in a kitchen. This is one of my parent's gardens. I love how easily things grow out there with little to no trouble. I have friends who have dabbled in Organic gardens in Florida, with little success. The sun torches EVERYTHING here - including the herbs I tried to get going. Green grass. This is assisted a little this time of year - but for the bulk of months the grass stays a pretty green with very little maintenance. To keep our grass nice in Florida, it often takes oodles of water and lots of chemicals. We opt for neither, but to try and sell the house we will have to work to get our lawn in shape. I wish it was "vogue" down here to be green and have no lawn, but , c'est la vie. Just a pretty flour.

I'm looking forwards to my next couple of posts, where I will be sharing my new kitchen "tool" finds. The eBay purchase JUST showed up today - and I am excited to get cooking!

0 comments: