Monday, September 15, 2008

When Life Hands you Lemons, make some kickin'...

Life around these parts has been a little hairy lately. I have my regular job, which seems to take up monumental amounts of time. By the end of the year, I've always managed to efficiently whittle down the hours I spend working. This year I've not yet hit my stride - and find myself working until 5 PM nearly every evening, bringing home hours of work to do on the weekend. I have some of the highest regard for my former teachers, now knowing that they must have given up their own family time grading my papers and assignments. I feel bad for ever turning in anything mediocre.

I've also picked up a tutoring gig - which has been phenomenal. They're a couple of bright, friendly, advanced middle school students that have been an absolute joy to teach. While I love my job and the challenges involved with working with struggling students, I never hear the words "wow, that's the coolest thing I've ever seen" in regards to a math problem. I get that with these kids. Even better is the fact that they are an Islamic family, from Pakistan, and currently celebrating Ramadan. I get Pakistani food every Monday and Wednesday evening (I am there when they break their fast), and I am thoroughly enjoying the education. It's a blend of Thai, Mexican, and the expected Middle Eastern flavors. One unique thing I've learned, that I completely intend on trying out at some point, is adding Garam Masala to fruit salad. It's really wonderful! I've also now been exposed to Samosas, mostly made with a blend of kosher meat. I will be trying these at some point, likely with a vegetarian blend.

On top of all of this, my husband officiates school-aged football. High school on Thursdays and Fridays, little guy on Saturdays. So, with all of the above, we're all home Tuesday nights, the occasional Thursday night, Saturday night, and Sunday afternoon. In that time, we have all the chores expected and I like to squeeze in a little family time too.

What I haven't had time for, clearly, is food blogging. Part of this is my own perfection complex. I have a hard time doing anything "half way." Even if I have a tasty recipe, I don't want to post it without the perfect picture. This new photograzing interest has not helped this. Plus, I enjoy getting myself involved in all of the other food blogs out there. However, when I started this, I just wanted an outlet to discuss my views on homemaking and cooking. Lately, it's become more about doing whatever is necessary to get recognition for the blog. I've discovered that's a full time job. The problem is, as a full time working mommy, I simply don't have the time for that kind of blog. That is, unless, I want to have one at the expense of my family. Clearly not an option. Neither is it worth it for me to give up other things I love - searching for deals, scrap booking, and my friends - for this one area that I also love. I need to strike a balance.

So, it's time to ratchet things back and give myself a break. I'll still post - don't get me wrong...but it's going to become about quality rather than quantity. 2-3 posts per week will be my goal (instead of the 5 - 7 I had been shooting for). Pictures will be great, but not necessary. Readers loved and appreciated, but not chased down.

Maybe then I'll have time to actually ENJOY the food that I cook - and not just photograph it and eat it cold. Kidding....sort of.

Thanks for reading this little cathartic confession. Glad you're here, hope to continue to have you here, even if I don't post every day!

1 comments:

Laurie said...

Wow. This entry gives me much to think about, especially since the blog is kind of taking over my life.

My husband (who cooks with me every night - it's our bonding time) actually left the kitchen one night last week, saying, "Cooking with you isn't fun anymore!" Ouch.

Balance is good. So good for you for knowing what is important.

I'll be back, fewer posts or not.