Thursday, September 4, 2008

My bread, in use.

If you scroll down to yesterday's post, you will see that I successfully modified a French Bread recipe for sandwich bread. However, how can I measure the success of a recipe until I use it? Sure it TASTED good, but what kind of sandwich did it make?

The first effort was the most important - Peanut Butter and Honey sandwich for my young (picky) children. I got this great set of cookie cutters that has about a zillion shapes. I wanted to try a larger one and a smaller one. My batch cut up as easily (if not a little easier than the sore bought bread). Moreover, from the bite that I grabbed, I thought it tasted better. The spongy nature of the bread gave lots of places for the honey and peanut butter to hide!
How did it go for the real judges - my children? Well, my son (who usually only picks at his PBJ's) DEVOURED it. My daughter ate it as quickly as she normally does.

Verdict: The sandwich bread works for the kiddos.

Now, onto a more "grown up" sandwich:
Chickpea Salad:
Mash up a scant 1/3 cup of chickpeas
add: 1/8 - 1/4 of a diced onion.
1 clove of ultra mashed/minced/grated garlic
1 teaspoon of DILL relish (or chopped up dill pickle)
1 teaspoon yellow mustard (or Dijon, if you prefer).
1 Tablespoon of mayo or mayo alternative.
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix together in bowl. It should clump together, but not be over done with mayo.

Spread over bread, put the other slice on top, cut, enjoy!

Verdict: The best chickpea salad sandwich, EVER.

If you're avoiding extra carbs, I have been known to put this salad over a bed of greens and enjoy that way too. It's really very versatile. But then again, why would one want to avoid carbs with this kind of bread hanging around?

0 comments: