Sunday, September 14, 2008

Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms

I was recently exposed to the wonder of ceramic knifes. Absurdly sharp, they do a wonderful job of chopping and slicing. Too ripe tomato? Says who? Need thin orange slices for a garnish? It's got you covered.

How about itty-bitty pieces of all sorts of vegetables? Just perfect.
When I first saw the Kyocera knife in action, I turned to my husband (doe-eyed, of course) and said "please." He's pretty used to my kitchen gadget obsession, so he wasn't surprised. In fact, he knows me so well, that when he DID find me one - he found it in pink. How great is that? A ridiculously sharp knife in PINK.

We were made for each other.

The knife and me...that is...

In order to keep the focus on my beautiful knife, I decided to just post the preamble. That, and the sunlight went away before I could finish the meal! Maybe I'll grab some pictures the next time I make it.

These are one of my favorite meals - hearty yet light all at the same time. I love the nutty "pop" that the Quinoa gives off as the base of the stuffing. Heavenly!

Quinoa Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms.

4-6 l3/4 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cups water
large portobello mushrooms, stemmed, and gilled
1/2 of a large white or yellow onion
3 - 4 small sweet peppers, diced
3 small tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms.
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 clove of garlic for each mushroom (we love garlic, you can reduce if you like), minced.
1 4 oz log soft goat cheese
1 tablespoon Italian bread crumbs per shroom.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Boil water in a pot, add Quinoa, and let cook for 12 minutes (covered) or until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat. You can use leftover Quinoa if you have it.

In large skillet, start with some oil, and saute onions and garlic.

When softening, add the remainder of vegetables. Saute until the peppers are sweating.

Add nuts, a minute more. Then add quinoa. Stir until well incorporated.

Chunk up goat cheese and melt into mixture (this helps it all stick together.)

Spoon evenly into mushrooms, top with breadcrumbs.

Place in 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until mushrooms are done. Make sure to cook in a jelly roll type pan so the mushrooms don't drool all over your oven and smoke you out!


Another picture of the perfect knife. I just love her.

1 comments:

Aggie said...

Hi Hollee! I might have to look into these ceramic knives, I am constantly sharpening my knives, which I love, they are my most used thing in the kitchen.

My parent's owned LaBella's in Flagler for 19 years before they sold it last year. They just recently opened up a new place called Rocky's. What school do you teach at? One of my best friends is a teacher at Rymfire...Melissa Nelson?

Thanks for stopping by my blog!