Monday, July 28, 2008

Portland, Oregon: Authentic Mexican Food and Farmer's Markets.

One of the best parts of being out in the Northwest is the food. I had forgotten how lucious and fresh everything in the Willamette Valley is. Cherries right off the tree, berries being sold on one roadside stand after the next. The Portland area truly is a celebration of freshness and taste.

Since not everyone can successfully run a garden, farmer's markets are an excellent resource to get fresh fruits and veggies. I read somewhere that the Portland area bosts 31 different farmers markets that run from the spring through the fall. These markets don't just have the fruits and vegetables, but breads, jams, crafts, meats, goodies, and more! Really, go hungry, sample whatever is available, and grab some lunch from a vendor. I promise you, there will be something delectable to try.

We attended two farmers markets while on our extended trip: Hillsboro and Forest Grove. I hear the Portland ones are fairly large, but these were close and easily accessible with two children. The Hillsboro market is in the morning - so we rousted the kids out of bed and took them into town. My main interest is in berries. I had forggotten how wonderful farm fresh berries truly are. Especially Marionberries, a hybrid local to the area. They're a wonderfully, sweet, juicy, large blackberry. Strawberries were on their way out, but I was able to find a pint of the last ones. We also found some raspberries, gooseberries, and currants.
Also notable at the Hillsboro market: the popcorn cart (wonderful, not too sweet, kettle corn), a local soap maker whose soaps looked so good that my daughter tried to take a bite, and a Mexican family whipping up breakfast burritos (more on that in a bit).

Later in the week, in the evening time, we headed over to the Forest Grove farmer's market. This market had a completely different vibe - celebratory and excited. More crafts, and more vegetables from "organic" vendors. There was not "certification" present, so the buyer beware, but in a small town like Forest Grove people would talk if you were spraying your "organic" garden.
Both markets were outstanding, and I am so glad we went. However, I think I liked the Forest Grove market better. Really, the Forest Grove market would have been perfect if that burrito making family had also been there. When we went to the Hillsboro market, there was a very long line in front of a food stand. If you are not local to an area, and want a good place to eat - watch the traffic around meal time. The sheer volume that this place was putting out really impressed my husband and I, and we just had to sample their menu. They made us the most wonderful egg, bean, and rice burrito. $4.00 for a meal that served both myself and my husband. The kids munched on popcorn and berries, while we all enjoyed a coffee treat. The kids had not-so-hot chocolate while I sipped on my latte.

I had forgotten what a significant part of the community is Mexican in descent. Immigration was sparked by local farms having work for interested families. Now, as those families are now in the second and third generations, they have become integrated into part of the Northwest culture. I never noticed it before, but Mexican food has become as "Oregon" as salmon and Tillamook ice cream.

After that burrito, the Mexican craving was still there. Nearing the end of our trip, we went to another local Mexican place and had lunch. This place wasn't nearly as good as the vendor stand - and MUCH more expensive (12 bucks for something 2/3 the size). It managed to fill our tummies, though. The guacamole was tangier than I am used to. They used a bit more lime juice than I would. It was tasty, but the lime totally overpowered the avocado.
This is a picture from the local restaurant, I didn't have my camera the day we went to the Hillsboro market.

0 comments: