Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Hello vino my old friend...

You know, today should have been a horrible day.  But it wasn't - and it wasn't for all the reasons that it should have been.

I'm writing in riddles. 

A month ago I had to give up all alcohol to start a medication for my eye.  I tried not to complain because, honestly, that's stupid.  Yes, let's whine about the fact that I can't have wine.  Because that's a REAL problem. 

My friends commiserated and tried to tell me that it was okay to be sad about it.  I appreciated their support, but I really felt like I just needed to suck it up and move on.  There were bigger concerns in the world, in my own life - heck there are bigger concerns about this MEDICATION than the fact that I had to give up alcohol. 

Today was a tough day complete with a mentally exhausting exam.  The mentally exhausting exam didn't go as well as I had hoped, partially (I felt) due to unfair questions.  So, not only was I maxed - I was mad and maxed.  Mad, maxed, and now alcohol free. 

A month ago I would have crawled home, poured myself a giant glass of wine, and sacked out on the couch.  I would have skipped my yoga class AND drank.  And probably ate a bunch of feel good foods (that don't feel so good the next day).  But today?  I came home, packed up, and went to yoga. 

And at the end of it all...I realized something...my no good day turned into a great one.  I turned all my frustration into a really great yoga practice.  My headache is GONE.  I am so ready to go to sleep - having left all my frustration in a pool of sweat next to my mat (I do HOT yoga!)  The funny part is, had I drank the wine, my no good day would have ended as a no good day.  The wine would have calmed my nerves, sure, but it wouldn't have helped me process the frustration.  The yoga, however, helped me process it and turn it into something productive. 

So then, I came home, and had my bowl of tomato soup.  With no bread.  The bread (my favorite) is sitting in the kitchen.  I had none.

I'm actually a little bit thankful for the wine moratorium. 

0 comments: